Sunday, October 24, 2010

Getting to Know ShawnaCameron

As my daughter sits here at her table, drawing pictures on scrap paper, picking out stickers, and singing a happy tune, it got me thinking about my fellow artists and crafters of this lovely team.

I thought while I was in an etsy loving mood, watching the love of art happen right in front of me, I could take the time to share a little about one of our own artists, ShawnaCameron.

because who doesn't want to hear more about an artist that shows us this?!
Angie: Who inspired you to be an Etsian?

Shawna: I had stumbled on Etsy previously - I don't even remember how - and when I made the decision to market my images and was looking at different ways to sell photography online I noticed that there were a few shops on here that sold it. Though he's not using his shop any more, I think it was JaredKS that made me decide to give it a whirl.
source

 Angie: What is your favorite thing about Etsy?

Shawna: It's got to be the connections I've made and the communities that have formed on here. Most recently, of course, I've had the good fortune to join Curation Nation and become part of this diverse and talented group. I love making treasuries as much as I love being in them. Everyone is so creative and the myriad ways people can interpret the same theme just blow me away! I also love the fPOE team (Female Photographers of Etsy), of which I've been a member for quite a long time now. They have a very active Flickr group forum; I wasn't even aware that I lacked a peer group of women photographers until I found them.

source
Angie: What is your favorite thing in your shop?

Shawna: Well I only sell images - albeit at different sizes and printed on different media - but my favourite changes all the time; it's pretty much always something I've done recently. Right now I'd probably have to say Allium Evening. I had to choose a few to print to canvas a couple a days ago to take advantage of a limited-time offer and that's one of the ones I chose.

source
Angie:What do you do besides Etsy?

Shawna: Photography-wise? I have my website www.shawnacameron.com that links to my Etsy shop, a blog, and my Flickr gallery. I also do the odd show at galleries or art events. For example, I was one of the artists that exhibited at the BlogHer Voices of the Year gala in New York this past August. After the show, all the pieces were auctioned off online to benefit the Nature Conservancy's efforts to clean up the Gulf. I like the fact that I can donate a piece to charity and they will get more money from selling it than if I'd just given them a straight cash donation. Win-win.

If we're talking life in general, I have a full-time day job sitting at a desk, I teach fitness classes a couple of times a week at the gym, and I contribute to a local Ottawa parenting blog called KidsInTheCapital in addition to running my photography and personal blogs. And did I mention that I have two children ages 2 and 4? I'm lucky because I can do some blog-writing on my lunch hour at work and a lot of the other stuff, like working online or on image post-processing, after the kids are in bed.

source
Angie: What is one thing you would like everyone to know about you?

Shawna: I feel like I kind of said it all already. Hm. Except maybe that I have a fantastic husband? Corny but true.

source

2 comments:

  1. Great article! I love hearing about fellow Etsians. Shawna you definitely have your hands full with 2 little ones and multiple jobs:) I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete